Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fabric Covered Journals


It's that time! Time to start thinking about Christmas and all the gifts you STILL need. I have been pretty good this year. I started my shopping in July and have managed to NOT keep those pretty gifts for myself. I'll admit, I had to hide them under my staircase to keep from getting at them and using them all around my house. (and I can't say what they are b/c they are gifts for people who read my blog) :-)

If you are still looking for something for that special person, close friend, or yourself... I have just the thing. And it's super simple!!

Just follow these directions and you will have a gift perfect for any occasion.

To create these linen-covered journals, you will need a hardcover journal or notebook, preshrunk linen, needle and thread, and a length of 3/4-inch ribbon long enough to go all the way around the journal plus 12 inches extra. 

Instructions: 
1. Lay the open, flat journal on the fabric, allowing 1/2 inch all around for hems and about 3 inches at each side for the pocket flaps. Center the journal on the fabric and mark where the top and bottom of the covers start and finish, from end to end. 

2. Cut a 1/2-inch vertical slit at each point, fold the fabric twice, and hem. 

3. Make a double hem along each end of the cover. Neatly hem all around the fabric, mitering the corners. 

4. Place the fabric right side up with the journal on top of it, fold over the flaps, and pin them in position. Remove the journal and sew the top and bottom of the flaps securely. 

5. Turn the cover right side out and fit it on the journal. Cut a length of ribbon, fold it in half lengthwise to mark the center, and stitch it securely to the center of the spine to bind book.


(photos and directions Country Living.com)

No comments: